Saturday, May 26, 2018

When Hobbies collide.

My 2 Meter Ham Radio and my Blue nails

This is me being non gender conforming with a little makeup.

It has been quite a while since I posted last. I have been busy with a new hobby.  The new hobby is Ham Radio.  This was prompted by our companies desire to become more proactive with disaster preparedness. I was huge CB nut in the 70's and early eighties.  It was suggested I get my license.  Having a degree in electronics made preparing for the test easier.  I took the Technicians level test and passed it easily.  They said why don't you give the general class test a try since it won't cost you any more.  I passed that also.  During this period My nails have suffered. I still keep them polished most of the time, but I haven't been doing much nail art.

I posted the picture of my new radio with me holding the microphone in a Ham radio facebook post about low cost radios.  I quickly found out there are some closed minded people in that group that made unkind comments about me being a weirdo or gay because of my blue nails.  On the plus side there were those that defended me saying what color my nails are has nothing to do with Ham radio.  The local Ham club I belong too has been good to me.  No one there has even mentioned my out of the norm fashion choices.  I have decided not to let small minded people change who I am.  I spent most of my life trying to be that average Joe and conform to the "norm".  I will not do that any longer. Life is too short not to be happy.  I am happier now than ever before.

Thanks for listening!

Jim
WH6FQI  (if there are any Hams out there)

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're still around =) People will always think what they want, you just be who you are. Those that are worth knowing will take the time to get to know you and the others aren't worth knowing to start with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been awful about keeping up the blog. For the most part people have been good with my deviation from the norms.

      Delete